15 November 2012

The Great Goodreads Race

Last December, for some reason now unfathomable to me, I set a goal of reading 75 books this year.  Each time I log in to Goodreads (which hasn't been often) I see a statistic on my sidebar telling me how many books I am behind if I am to meet my goal by the end of the year, resulting in me logging into Goodreads even less often.

Occasionally I consider inputting all of the children's books I read to the little man every day, which would wrap the whole thing up nice and easy, but I know that those were not what I intended when I set the goal, so I just can't.  So, I face the fact that with a baby who needs perhaps more of my attention than might be the norm, a wonderful husband who has traveled just enough to make things interesting, and a sleep schedule which rarely includes more than three hours at a stretch, I have fallen dreadfully short of my goal this year.  More often than not, my desire for a nap has prevailed over my desire for a nice quiet read.

For some reason, falling short on this really REALLY bothers me.  Perhaps it is because I have given so much of myself to my calling, to my family, to my research for the little man, and haven't much oomph left to do anything for myself this year. But whatever the reason, I need to try to meet my goal after all.  Call me overly ambitious, but if you count the 5 or 6 books I'm partially done with (such a bad habit of mine to always begin another before I am done with the first), 37 books by the end of December doesn't sound that bad, right?  :)

At the moment, I happen to be surrounded by family, which helps with the little one's demands on my time, and I have free access to my baby sister's kindle.  If ever there was a sign that I can do this, that is it.  So, a few days ago I began my Great Goodreads Race.  As of this morning I need to complete 37 books before the end of December.  Wish me luck! 

1 comment:

  1. That's funny, I'm not going to finish my reading list this year, but I'm proud of it, because I felt like I read too much last year.

    If you want a short, fast read, you could try The Light Princess by George MacDonald. I bet you've read it before, though.

    ReplyDelete