08 September 2011

new connotations for rain and other adjustments

People keep telling Mr. Clean and I that we are in the middle of a drought.  The following is why I don't quite understand their usage of the word drought:



This is the streamlet in the back of our apartment that generally runs about 3 inches deep and a couple of inches wide.  Right now it is probably about 6 feet across and several feet deep (and it's still coming down). It's been raining like this on and off for a few days now. 

In contrast was last week, when the landscaping crew actually busted out some sprinklers.  It was sort of funny - they had hoses pulled all over kingdom come trying to figure out how to water everything (obviously they don't have to resort to using them very often).

So, my conclusions are as follows:

1.  Drought has a different connotation in Virginia than it does in Utah. Compared to my Utah background, drought out here seems to be rather shorter and moister than the drought I am used to.   
2.  Rain has a different connotation in Virginia than it does in Utah.  My perspective on this has changed very rapidly.  If you can walk in it for a couple of seconds without feeling like you've just showered in your clothes, it is no longer a true rain to me!  Also, as a side note, if thunder doesn't rattle my ribcage and leave a ringing in my ears, it is no longer impressive.
3.  Sprinkler has a different connotation in Virginia than it does in Utah.  Out here it is spoken with an inflection akin to a cuss word.


Tomato, Tomahto. 

1 comment:

  1. Do you laugh when people say you're in a drought? Because I probably would. And then they'd probably kick me out of the state!

    ReplyDelete